About Raja Lakhamagouda Science Institute

Our History

North Karnataka during pre-independence period was educationally and economically a backward region. Yet, there was a great thirst for education among the people. This educationally backward region experienced a scientific renaissance of the mind and the spirit with the inception of the Science college in Belagavi by Karnataka Lingayat Education Society, in 1935. Initially, the Science course was introduced in the, then, already existing Lingaraj Arts College. It was progressing by leaps and bounds; and subsequently,in 1941, it was named as Raja LakhamaGouda Science Institute, after the name of the munificent Sardar Raja LakhamaGouda Basavaprabhu Sirdesai of Wantamuri, who had generously donated to the institute.

The degree course in Science was inaugurated in 1944, by Sir. C. V. Raman, the Nobel Laureate. It had the honor of imparting instructions in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry at Post-Graduate level from 1948 to 1957.

Raja LakhamaGouda Science Institute has a rich academic history of seventy nine years spanning over three generations of students. Since its establishment in 1935, the Institute has been supported by the committed faculty members undertaking curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to fulfill its mission. The Institute offers students the opportunity not only to expand their own creative scope, but also to add to the knowledge base of their subjects by taking up research projects. Hence, conducive environment for teaching-learning is preserved. Thus, it brings a sense of accomplishment to the faculty members and stakeholders alike. The Institute has, over the years, expanded and grown by leaps and bounds and its alumni have excelled themselves all over the world.

Year:
1935 Science course was introduced in Lingaraj College.
1941 Science Wing named as Raja LakhamaGouda Science Institute
1944 Degree section inaugurated by in science Sir. C. V. Raman, the Nobel Laureate.
1948 PG classes in Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics introduced till 1957.
1951 Foundation Stone of Physics department laid by Shri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar
1958 Bifurcated from Lingaraj College as a full-fledged science institute.
1988 Electronics subject introduced.
1998 Electronics equipment maintenance subject introduced.
1999 BCA Course started.
2002 PU Section started.
2003 Cinder Track laid on the playfield.
2004 Biotechnology subject introduced.
2004 New Gymkhana and Badminton halls constructed.
2008 Certificate Course in Computer Application started.
2009 Certificate Course in Medical Lab. Technician started.
2010 PG Classes in Physics and Mathematics started.
2012 Became Autonomous College.
2012 MCA course started.
2013 Certificate Courses in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, Botany, Zoology, Biotechnology & English.
2013 Introduced New Combinations for UG Students. Mathematics, Electronics & Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics & Economics.