- Department Profile
- Course Combinations
- Course Outcomes
- Program Specific Outcomes
- Board of Studies
- Research Areas
- Activities Organised
- Invited Talks
- Study Tour
- Student Projects
- In-House Seminars
- Department Gallery
Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2004, and is designed to provide specialized and scientific learning along with skill improvement trainings to help the students to explore towards various career paths in agriculture, healthcare, forensics, industrial, pharmaceutical fields. In this vision we organize many programs. The main purpose of the program is creation of well informed human resources who have the ability to work in Government, Semi Government, private and public sectors owned by Biotechnology Organizations, and also to take responsibility of administrative positions.
Biotechnology is considered as applied field of life science. The studies includes utilization of biological system to develop different products. The main objective of this course is to provide basic knowledge and idea for advanced studies in Biotechnology among undergraduate students. In this course, students will learn about a combination of many different topics which includes Biochemistry, Microbiology, Immunology, r DNA technology, Plant Tissue Culture and Animal Cell Culture and their applications in welfare of human.
The students have opportunity to opt Biotechnology in two combinations. Chemistry, Zoology and Biotechnology and Chemistry, Botany and Biotechnology. Our Department has well equipped laboratories, including Plant Tissue Culture laboratory. We focus on educating students with respect to developing Biotechnological aspects that includes. In this direction, our department organizes workshops, seminars, guest lectures, field visits, and visit to Research centers and along with these we organize student oriented activities like model making competitions, poster presentations and student seminars.
This course not only increases the knowledge among the students, it also build the confidence to work in Industrial, Teaching and Research areas. Along with that students also acquire the ability of entrepreneurship.
- Chemistry, Zoology and Biotechnology - CZBt
- Chemistry, Botany and Biotechnology- CBBt
Biotechnology is one of the advanced branch of Life Science. The course deals with the study of manipulating a living cell for welfare of human being. The objective of this course is to provide basic theoretical and practical knowledge to undergraduate students to excel in advanced topics of Biotechnology.
The key areas of study within course are Cell Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Genetic engineering, Plant and Animal Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, industrial and environmental Biotechnology etc.
This course increases the knowledge among the students, it also build the confidence to work in Industrial, Teaching and Research areas. Along with that students also acquire the ability of entrepreneurship.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES
- To inculcate entrepreneurship among the students so as to start their own ventures in the field of Biotechnology.
- To train the students to take up wide variety of roles like researchers, Scientist, consultants, entrepreneurs, academicians, industry leaders & Policy.
|SL NO||FACULTY||DESIGNATION||DOWNLOAD CV|
|1||Danamma S Shettar||HOD||Download CV|
|2||Dr. Gurubasappa G. Biradar||Assistant Professor||Download CV|
BOARD OF STUDIES
|SL NO||NAME & DESIGNATION||CATEGORY|
|1||Smt. D.S Shettar HOD, Biotechnology Dept. Raja Lakhamagouda Science Institute (Autonomous), Belagavi||BOS chairman|
|2||Dr. Shrinivas c. Prof. Biotchnology Bangaluru University, Bangaluru||V.C Nominee (Subject expert)|
|3||Dr. Uday Muddapur K.L.E Technological University Hubballi||A.C Nominee (Subject expert)|
|4||Dr. Pavan Kundur Associate Professor G.m. Institute of Technology Davangere||A.C Nominee (Subject expert)|
|5||Dr. Hanamant Associate Prof. Kristu Jayanti College Bengaluru||A.C Nominee|
|6||Shri. Anand Darur Optimus Herbal Extracts, Belagavi||Industrialist|
|7||Dr. G. G. Biradar||Member|
The department focuses on advanced and emerging research trends. With this objective we go for different research programs that includes,
- Enzymology: The research in Enzymology includes Evaluating different enzymes and their role, Production of enzymes and enzymatic assays.
- Microbiology: Microbiology is considered to be most interesting topic in Life Science. This area includes study of many different Anti-microbial activities, antibiotic production, secondary metabolite production from microorganisms, Pollution control using microorganisms.
- Cancer research: This research area includes studies of cancer cells, Survey among cancer patients and treatment to different types of cancer.
- Biofertilizers production: This research area includes the production method of biofertilizers, different organisms used in production and their role and analysis of activity of microorganisms which act as source of biofertilizers production.
- Plant Biotechnology: This research area includes the Callus production, Suspension culture, synthesis of artificial seeds, organogenesis protocols and applications of Plant tissue culture.
- Evaluation of in-vitro antioxidant and anticancer activity of Allophylus cobbe leaf extracts on DU145 and PC3 human prostate cancer cell lines by Shridhar c. Ghanage, Sridevi I. Puranik, Rajendra B. Nerli, and Murigendra B. Hiremath, published in Cytotechnology Journal in 2016 dated 18th December 2016
- In-vitro antioxidant and anticancer activity of Leea indica leaf extracts on human prostate cancer cells by Shridhar c. Ghanage, Sridevi I. Puranik, Vijay M. Kumbar, Rajendra B. Nerli, Sunil S. Jalalpure, Murigendra B. Hiremath, Shivayogeeshwar Neelagundi, and Ravindranath Aladakatti, published in Integrative Medicine Research Journal in the year 2017 dated 16th January 2017.
- Biotechnology higher Education, Funding and Start-Ups: Indian scenario, by Shridhar c. Ghanage, Murigendra B. Hiremath, G Kadadevaru Sridevi I. Puranik and R. B Nerli, published in Productivity Journal in the year 2017 dated October- December 2017 page no-300.
- Evaluation of in-vitro antioxidant and anticancer activity of Simarouba glauca leaf extracts on T-24 Bladder cancer cell line by Sridevi I. Puranik, Shridhar c. Ghanage, Rajendra B. Nerli, Sunil S. Jalalpure, Murigendra B. Hiremath published in Pharmacognosy Journal, volume 8, issue 6 in the year 2017 dated November – December 2017.
- Overcoming hindrance in Writing research article: Advice to Novices by Shridhar C. Ghanage, Rajendra B. Nerli, Sridevi I. Puranik, published in Journal of Scientific Society by Wolters Kluwer-Medknow in the year 2017 dated 23rd October
- Booming Biotechnology: The promising future in Health care, by Sridevi I. Puranik, Shridhar C. Ghanage published in Advances in Biotechnology and Microbiology Journal in the year 2017 August in volume 5. Page no. 001
- Assessment of stress among working women in selected professionals from Belagavi region. By, Kalpana I. Pattan, Sridevi I. Puranik and Padmaja Basti published in International Journal of Health Science and Research in the year 2017 August volume 7 page no. 314
- Frontiers of Monoclonal antibodies: Application in medical practices by Shridhar c. Ghanage, Sridevi I. Puranik, Siew Hua Gan, Murigendra B. Hiremath, R. B Nerli and M. V Ravikumar published in Human Antibodies Journal in the year 2017
- Production of Laccase by Ganoderma sp. In submerged fermentation by Adiveppa B. Vantamuri, Sudheer I. Manawadi, Sanjotha K. Guruvin, Vidya M. Holennavar, Danamma S. Shettar, published in Journal of Advanced Scientific Research in the year 2019 November .
|SL NO||INSTITUTE / STATE / NATIONAL / INTERNATIONAL LEVEL||SEMINAR / WORKSHOP / SYMPOSIUM / CONFERENCE / ANY OTHER||TITLE||DATE|
|1||National||Seminar||Emerging trends in pure & Life Science||29/03/2016|
|2||Institute level||One day Training Program||Molecular Techniques||17/02/2016|
|3||National||Seminar||Word Ozone Day (Keep Cool & Carry on)||19/09/2018|
|4||Institute level||Work Shop||Bioinformatics||16/09/2018|
|5||Institute level||PPT Competition||Recent Development in Biotechnology||8/08/2018|
|6||National||Seminar||Word Ozone Day (Global Warming & Impact of Climate Change)||16/09/ 2019|
|7||Institute level||Poster presentation Competition||Biotechnology for Better Tomorrow||24/08/2019|
|8||International National||Webinar||High throughput sequencing opportunities||24/06/2020|
|9||National||Webinar||The Abuse of Anabolic- Androgenic Steroids in Athletes : Potential health hazards||27/06/2020|
|10||National||Webinar||Advantages and Hazards of Ozone||16/09/2020|
|11||National||Webinar||Nanotechnology for Sustainable development||01/07/2021|
|SL NO||NAME & DETAILS OF GUEST SPEAKER||TITLE||DATE|
|1||Dr. P.S Subbapurmath Principal, School of Agriculture Training & Research, Mattikop||Organic farming and Biofertilizers||11/08/15|
|2||Shri Pramod Kumar Scientist C, Regional Medical Research Centre, Belagavi||Bioinformatics: Applications and career prospective||05/01/16|
|3||Dr.Sanjay Mishra Scientist Grade II, KLE University’s Dr Prabhakar Kore Basic Science Research Centre, Belagavi||In vitro analysis of medicinal plants for treatment of diseases||02/02/16|
|1||Dr. M. V. Ravishankar Associate Professor, USM-KLE, IMP JNMC campus, Belagavi||Research- Basic concepts||23/08/16|
|2||Dr. Anusree Das Scientist B Regional Medical Research Centre, Belagavi||Noble prizes changing the world||21/09/16|
|1||Dr. Bannappa Unger, Scientist D, ICMR-NITM, Belagavi||Biotechnology and Traditional Medicine Research||10/08/17|
|1||Shri. M. G. Kulkarni Reginal Office Belagavi||Vedic Spiritual tools an adjunctive to treat modalities for cancer & relative diseases||9/08/2018|
|2||Dr. Joy Hosakeri Bijapure University||Bioinformatics||25/01/2019|
|1||Dr. Arun Shettar Faculty of Science PG Department of Studies and Research in Applied Genetics Karnatak University, Dharwad||“Emerging Research Opportunities and Jobs in Biotechnology”||30/08/2019|
|2||Dr. Gireesh babu Head, Genei Laboratories Pvt., Ltd. Bengaluru||BIOINSTRUMENTATION||25/01/2020|
|1||Dr. Karteek Rao Lecturer, Department of Zoology J.S.S Banashankari Arts, Commerce and S. K Gubbi Science Degree College Dharwad||“Career in Lifr Sciences with Special emphasis on Biotechnology: Struggles and future prospects||29/05/2021|
|2||Dr. Suneel Dodmani Scientist, BSRC K.L.E Academy of Higher education and Research Belagavi||Role of Human Gut Microbiome in Building Immunity||31/05/2021|
|SL NO||PLACE OF VISIT||STUDY TOPIC||NO OF STUDENTS||DATE|
|1||Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology, Hyderabad||Molecular Techniques||27B.Sc III||15/02/2016 to 19/02/2016|
|2||Biocentre, Belagavi||Plant Tissue Culture||18 B. Sc II||16/01/2016|
|3||Sai Food Processing, Belagavi||Food technology||15 B. Sc I||18/01/2016|
|1||KLE University’s Dr Prabhakar Kore Basic Science Research Centre, Belagavi||PCR & Electrophoresis||15 B.Sc III||19/08/2016|
|1||KLEU’S Dr. Prabhakar Kore Basic Science Research Centre, Belagavi||Molecular techniques||30 B.Sc III||04/08/2017|
|1||KLEU’S Dr. Prabhakar Kore Basic Science Research Centre, Belagavi||Techniques of Soxhelet Extraction & Chromatography.||44 B.Sc I||08/01/2019|
|2||Nijallingappa Sugar Institute Belagavi.||Plant Tissue Culture||25 B.Sc II||13/02/ 2019|
|1||Biocenter, Belagavi||Soil analysis, Water analysis & Preparation of Biopesticide & Biofertilizers.||30 B. Sc II||09/01/ 2020|
|SL NO||NAME OF THE STUDENT||TITLE OF THE PROJECT||GUIDE|
|1||Miss. Nandini. Amath Miss .Sneha Huggi Miss. Jyothi Khot Miss. Prathibha Sharma Mr. Adib Yaksambi||Production of Amylases from Aspergillus niger||Miss. P.C. Basti|
|2||Miss. Shruti Haragapur Miss. .Pallavi Madihalli Miss. Soumya G Miss. Rashmi Mutagi Miss. Spoorti D Miss. Sudeshna Hulloli||Microbiological Examination of different water samples||Miss. S.I.Puranik|
|3||Miss. Shantipriya Kamat Miss. Priyanka Torangatti Miss. Sonali Kukadolli Miss. Pooja Pattar Mr. Sheik Hazi||Phytoremediation||Miss. P.C. Basti|
|4||Miss. Shweta Bannur Miss. Archana Bhosagi Mr. Ganesh R Mr. Gopal Pachchannavar Mr. Akshay Chougule||Production of callus from carrot tap root||Miss. S.I.Puranik|
|5||Miss. Aishwarya Hattiholi||DNA barcoading studies in Polyalthia longifolia Sonn. And Mesua ferrea||Dr. Subarno Rao Miss. S.I.Puranik|
|6||Mr. Shriram Puranik Miss. Prema Kudjogi||Biofertilizer formulation from the waste of Bio fuel Production||Dr. C. C. Gavimath Miss. P.C. Basti|
|7||Miss. Aishwarya Hattiholi Miss. Priya Tyagi||Purification of Glycerol||Dr.C.C.Gavimath Miss. P.C. Basti|
|1||Miss. Gayatri Khandekar Miss. Puja S Majage Miss. Shraddha P. Shetti Miss. Deepika Kamble||Isolation and characterization of Amylase producing Microorganisms from selected soil sample||Miss. P. C. Basti|
|2||Mr. Mahesh Dhulennavar Mr. Muzaffer. Choncha Mr. .Niranjan. Bastawadkar Mr. Rohan D’Souza Mr. Adiveppa Sidhapur Mr. Balesh M Mr. Prabhakar Ghodageri||Study of medicinal plants of RLS campus||Miss. S. I. Puranik|
|1||Miss. Amruta Deshpande Miss. Nausheen Khazi Miss. Kavyashree Bijjargi Miss. Akshata Salunke||A study on Selected Chemical Parameter of Killa Lake, Belagavi||Miss. S.I. Puranik|
|2||Mr. Nelson D’costa Mr. Veeresh Karoshi||Hydroponics||Miss. P.C. Basti|
|3||Miss.Sneha K.S||Preliminary Phytochemical Screening of Lemon Leaves||Miss. S.I. Puranik|
|4||Miss. Soujanya Devarnani||Phenolic Contents In Medicinal Plants||Miss. S.I. Puranik|
|1||Miss. Shantadevi.H Miss. Vidyashree G Mr. praveen B||Analysis of Honey||Smt.D.S.Shettar|
|2||Miss. Yerimma.G Miss. Aishwarya A Miss. Mahalaxmi M||Mosses as Pollution Control||Miss.Trupti Wadakeri|
|3||Mr . Manoj.G Miss. Sushmita.P Miss. Pooja.T Miss. Jyoti.G Miss. Bhagyashree N||Bioplastic||Smt.D.S.Shettar|
|4||Miss. Sanyogita.P Miss. Vaishali. M Neh Miss. Shushmita 4.Sineen 5.Laxmi||Biosynthesis of silver nano particles using plant sources.||Smt. D.S.Shettar|
|5||Mr. Manjunath. Patil Miss. Samrudhi. Bhorkade||Preparation of Bio Diesel from Vegetable Oil||Miss.Trupti Wadakeri|
|6||Miss. Pratibha. W Miss. Nayana Mr. Akshay. Itanal Miss. Prajwala. H Miss. Radhika. J||Extraction of Iron Content from Various Sources||Smt.D.S.Shettar|
|7||Mr. Pavan Kinagi Miss. Jyothsana.G Miss. Jayalaxmi. Nesargi Miss Darshan. V||Bioremediation of Waste water by Mushroom||Smt.D.S.Shettar|
|8||Mr. Akshay. Galagali Mr. Anirudh. Yadav Mr. Rohan. Patil||Preparation of Biotequila||Miss.Trupti Wadakeri|
|9||Miss. Geeta. Kamatagi Miss. Gayatri. Pawar Miss. Akshata. H Mr. Sudharshan. K||Extraction of Caffeine by Tea Waste||Smt. D.S.Shettar|
|Beyond the Curriculum|
|1||Miss. R. Manju||Analysis of Honey||Miss Truupti. Wadakeri|
|1||Miss. Chaitali Takkekar||Microbial properties of some plant species.||Smt. D. S. Shettar|
|2||Miss. Drakshayani Hattroti|
|3||Miss. Husne Ara|
|4||Miss. Nidhi Sulgekar|
|5||Miss. Parwati Patil|
|6||Miss. Shree Vakund|
|7||Miss. Anita Hiremath||Improvement of Soil fertility and developing the fertilizer from human hair||Smt. D. S. Shettar|
|8||Miss. Bhavana Patil|
|9||Miss. Roshni Kamble|
|10||Miss. Shivani Patil|
|11||Miss. Soumya Naik|
|12||Miss. Annapurna Koutanali||Manufacture of Bio plastics from fruits and vegetables||Miss.Aruna Shahapurkar|
|13||Miss. Dipali Sadekar|
|14||Miss. Laxmi Pattar|
|15||Miss. Rutika Acharya||Affect of food preservatives on growth of micro organisms||Miss.ArunaShahapurhar|
|16||Miss. Pranali . Sanasuddi|
|17||Miss. Padmalata. Patil|
|18||Miss. Tasmiya. Jamadar|
|19||Mr. Ramachandra Bhattangi||DNA Extraction from strawberry, Kiwi and Shrimp||Smt D. S. Shettar|
|20||Mr. Basavaraj Patil|
|21||Mr. Omakar Gavade|
|22||Mr. Sachin Shapur|
|23||Mr. Vaseem Surakod|
|24||Mr. Akash Ingalagi||What Makes DNA finger printing unique||Miss.Aruna Shahapurkar|
|25||Mr. Kavan Dodmabi|
|26||Mr. Mahantesh Ullagaddi|
|27||Mr. Sangamesh Bagewadi|
|28||Mr. Adil Karikazi||Antimicrobial activity of different soaps and toothpaste||Smt. D. S. Shettar|
|29||Miss. Aishwarya Patil|
|30||Mr. Vikas Badiger|
|31||Miss. Veda. G|
|32||Miss. Snejal Patil||Microbial evaluation in Cosmetics||Smt .D. S. Shettar|
|Beyond Curriculum (On going)|
|1||Miss.Nikhita. N Miss. Deepika Shet||Antimicrobial Activity of Ocimum basilicum||Dr. Suneel Doddamani Smt .D.S.Shettar|
IN-HOUSE SEMINARS 2015 – 2020
|SL NO||YEAR||NO OF IN-HOUSE SEMINARS CONDUCTED|
|SL NO||NAME OF THE COLLABORATOR||PURPOSE||DURATION|
|1||Optimums Herbal Extract Kanbargi, Belagavi||To improve the knowledge of Herbal product usage and to give entrepreneurship training to our B.ScBiotechnology Students at their industry.||Till date|
|2||Alfanzymes Kanbargi, Belagavi||To explore the students to research environment and to give entrepreneurship training to our B.Sc Biotechnology Students at their industry.||26-09-2020 to 27-09-2021|