- Department Profile
- Course Combinations
- Certificate Course
- Course Outcomes
- Research Areas
- Activities Organised
- Invited Talks
- Study tour/Field Visit/Industry Visit
- Student Projects
- List of In-House Seminars
- Department Gallery
OVERVIEW OF THE DEPARTMENT
Department of Botany was established in the year 1935.Earlier our college was affiliated to Karnatak University Dharwad, since bifurcation from 2010-11 our Institute got affiliated to Rani Channamma University Belagavi. Autonomous status was implemented from the year 2012-2013.
The dynamic and visionary contributions by several renowned teachers Dr. Chikkanaiah, Dr. Panchaksharappa, Prof. Suryanarayan, Prof. B. C. Hosakeri and Prof. (Smt) A. M. Radha.
Few of our prominent alumni are Dr. S. B. Dandin, Former VC University of Horticultural Sciences, Bagalkot, Karnataka, India. Dr. S. S. Salimath, Research Scientist-I, Dept of Biological Sciences, University of North Texas, Denton, USA, Dr. Shivanand R Patil, Rtd. Director , Sr. Scientist Cytogenetics & Molecular laboratory, Iowa University, USA & Dr. Dinakar M. Salunke, Rtd. Director International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, New Delhi, India
Department has MoU with Kulkarni Farm Fresh Private Limited Bailhongal, Belagavi, Blossoms and Bagi farms.
Curriculum includes Taxonomic & Ecological Study tours, Visit to Industries, Research centers & BSRC.
Current thrust areas of teaching and research provide students with substantial exposure and hands-on training in a variety of subject areas of Botany and to nurture their talents.
- CBZ (Chemistry, Botany, Zoology)
- CBBt (Chemistry, Botany, Biotechnology)
- Mushroom Cultivation (2012-2013 onwards)
- Horticultural Techniques (2013-2014 onwards)
- Herbal Beauty Course (2017-2018 onwards)
- Floriculture (NSQF) (To be introduced from 2020-2021)
Click here to view
- Course structure
- Syllabus for B.Sc I Year(CBCS)
- Syllabus for B.Sc II year (Non-CBCS)
- Syllabus for B.Sc III year(Non-CBCS)
|SL NO||FACULTY||DESIGNATION||DOWNLOAD CV|
|1||Miss. M. S. Bagi||Lecturer||Download CV|
|2||Pooja Melavanki||Assistant Professor||Download CV|
|3||Smt. Shailashri Mane||Assistant Professor||Download CV|
|4||Tanushree D. Bhende||Assistant Professor||Download CV|
- Microsporogenesis in SECHIUM EDULE JACQ. SW.
- Major Research Project Phytochemical studies and antidiabetic Evaluation of some Indian medicinal plant extracts.
- Preliminary Phytochemical investigations on Roots of Nerium oleander, Linn,-VGST Govt. of Karnataka, Dept. of Information technology, Biotechnology, Science & Technology.
- Phytochemical screening of the floral organs of Pongamia pinnata Linn. (Fabaceae family).
2. Environmental Biology-
- Hydro biological studies in and around Belagavi with special reference to Rakaskop and Argantalab.
- Survey of Noise pollution in the traffic zones of Belagavi city.
3. Aerobiology - Aerospora: Study of fungal spores in and around Karnatak University campus, Dharwad.
4. Plant Tissue culture- “Nutritional analysis of tender leaves, young fruits and seeds of Woolly Cassia (Senna hirsute (L.) H. S. Irwin & Barneby)”.
- “Survey and Documentation of Antioxidant Rich fruits” published by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar & Dr. P.B. Bendigeri in World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, Volume 3, Issue 10, Page No.-1660-1666, ISSN 2277-7105, SJIF Impact Factor 5.045, in the year 2014.
- “NAAC Assessment: A Boon for Higher Education” published by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar in the International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR),Volume 4, Issue 3, Page No.-475-477, ISSN(Online):2319-7064,, Index Copernicus Value(2013): 6.14, Impact Factor(2013): 4.438, in the year 2015.
- “Impact of Anthropogenic Pollution on Mangrove Biodiversity; A Review” published by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar in the International Journal of Multidisciplinary and Current Research, Volume 3, Page No.-1152-1154, ISSN: 2321-3124, in the year 2015.
- “Impact of climate change on the livelihood of indigenous people” published by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar in International Journal of Recent Bioscientific Research, Volume 8, Issue 2, Page No.-15558-15561, ISSN: 0976-3031, in the year 2017.
- “The Role of NAAC for Quality Assurance in Higher Education System” published by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar in International Journal of Innovative and Advanced Studies, Volume 4, Issue 2, Page No.- 213-215, ISSN: 2394-4404, in the year 2017.
- “The value of life skills in higher education” published by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar in the International Organization of Scientific Research Journal of Research and Method in Education, Volume 7, Issue 3, Page No.- 43-46, e-ISSN: 2320-7388, p-ISSN: 2320-737X, in the year 2017.
- “Distribution of Ascorbic Acid in the developing anthers of Cucumis sativus L.” published by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar in the World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, Volume 6, Issue 7, Page No.- 1771-1777, ISSN: 2277-7105, SJIF Impact Factor 7.523, in the year 2017.
- “Indigenous knowledge and Biopiracy” published by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar in the Research Journal of Life Sciences, Bioinformatics, Pharmaceuticals and Chemical Science An International Multidisciplinary Science and Research, Volume 7, Issue 8, Page No.- 131-133, ISSN: 2319-7064,Index Copernicus Value: 79.57, Impact Factor: 7.296, in the year 2018.
- Women Empowerment and Education by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar in International Multidisciplinary Quarterly Research Journal-AJANTA Journal No 40776 Vo.7 Issue 4 Oct.-Dec.2018
- Agricultural Biodiversity : Its need for Sustainable progress by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar in Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research Vol.6 Issue 2 Feb.2019
- “Facilitating Transformation through Values” published by Dr. J.S.Kawalekar and Smt. H. I. Halappanavar, in the International Journal of Higher Educational Research, Volume 8, Issue 01, ISSN No.-2277-260X, UGC Indexed Serial No.- 48406, in the year 2018.
- “Towards Wellness - Woman seeking Health information” published by Miss M.S. Bagi in the International Journal of Higher Educational Research, Volume number 8,Issue 01 ISSN No.-2277- 260X, UGC Indexed Serial No.-48406, January 2018.
ACTIVITIES ORGANISED BY THE DEPARTMENT
|SL NO||INSTITUTE / STATE / NATIONAL / INTERNATIONAL LEVEL||SEMINAR / WORKSHOP / SYMPOSIUM / CONFERENCE / ANY OTHER||TITLE||DATE|
|1||National Level||One Day National level Student’s Seminar||‘Emerging Trends in Pure sciences & Life Sciences’ Theme ‘Biodiversity: Depletion Causes & Conservation’ PPT Presentation||29-03-2016|
|2||State Level||One Day State Level Seminar||“Ozone depletion: its impact on Climate Change” PPT Presentation||16-09-2016|
|3||Institutional Level||Two Day Institutional Level Workshop||‘Mushroom Cultivation’||02 & 03-02-2017|
|4||National Level||One Day National Student’s Seminar||‘World Ozone Day’||16-09-2017|
|5||National Level||One Day National Student’s Seminar||‘World Ozone Day’||19-09-2018|
|6||Institutional Level||One Day Workshop||“Health Awareness Program Power of Herbs for Youth”, (Herbal Beauty Certificate Course)||05-03-2019|
|7||Institutional Level||Poster presentation competition cum exhibition||‘Save Environment’||24-07-2018|
|8||Karnataka Government Forest Department||Wild life week celebration in association with Forest Department of Karnataka||Traditional Conservative methods of Biodiversity- ‘Wild life Awareness week’||03-10-2018|
|9||Institutional Level||Painting competition||‘General awareness of environment’||24-07-2019|
|10||National Level||One Day National Student’s Seminar||‘World Ozone Day’||16-09-2019|
|11||Institutional Level||Bouquet making competition||‘Various Techniques in Bouquet making’||24-09-2019|
|12||Institutional Level||Painting Competition||‘Connecting People to Nature’||05-06-2020|
|13||National Level||Webinar||‘Antiviral and immunostimulant agents from Medicinal plants’||22-06-2020|
|14||International Level||Webinar||‘Genetically Modified cotton plants produce Tocotrienols: Important Vitamin E components for added nutritional and medicinal value’||30-06-2020|
|15||National Level||Webinar||‘Advantages & Hazards of Ozone layer’||16-09-2020|
|16||Institutional Level||BIOFORUM-Teachers Training Program||Genetics and Reproductive Biology||25-02-2021|
|17||National Level||Webinar on the eve of World Environment Day||Ecosystem Restoration: Need of the hour||05-06-2021|
|18||National Level||Virtual Quiz competition on the eve of World Environment Day||Issues related to Environmental Science||04-06-2021 to 08-06-2021|
|19||National Level||Webinar||Role of IPR in Protection of Inventions and Innovations||18-06-2021|
|20||National Level||Webinar||Western Ghats- Treasure of Medicinal plants||23-07-2021|
|SL NO||NAME OF THE GUEST SPEAKER||SUBJECT||DATE|
|1||Dr. S. M Sangave, Asst Director of Agriculture, Belagavi.||Recent Advances in Agriculture sciences||03-09-2015|
|2||Dr. Jaytheerth Kulkarni Mushroom Cultivation Unit Tigadi.||White Button Mushroom Cultivation||12-01-2016|
|3||Dr. C. G Patil, Karnataka Science College, Dharwad||Techniques in Genetic Engineering||14-01- 2016|
|4||Dr. Arvind Kulkarni, Former Director , Pulp and Paper Research Institute NEPA Ltd. Dandeli.||Role of cellulose in Paper Making||12-08-2016|
|5||Dr. Jaytheerth Kulkarni Mushroom Cultivation Unit, Thigadi.||White Button Mushroom Cultivation||7-01-2017|
|6||Dr. Dinakar M Salunke, Director, International center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), New Delhi.||Biology at the Interface of Physics and Chemistry. Molecules, Crystals and cellular mechanics||30-01-2017|
|7||Dr. Sagar Wagmore, Profrieter, Phonics, Belagavi Asst Prof. Dept of Civil Engineering, S. G. B. Inst. of Technology, Belagavi.||Hydrophonics||19-07-2017|
|8||Dr. Prakash Sobrad, Additional Director (Farm and Nurseries) Lalbagh, Bengaluru.||Terrace Gardening||08-08-2017|
|9||Shri Sameer Majali Founder and Coordinator Green Saviors Belagavi.||Miyawaki-Technique as a Tool for Afforestation||23-01- 2019|
|10||Prof.Vinayak Mutgekar Asst.Prof.Angadi school of Architecture Belagavi.||Design process involved in Landscape||01-02-2019|
|11||Dr. Sanjay Mishra Scientist – Grade II a renowned person of our own KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research [KAHER] Dr. Prabhakar Kore Basic Science Research Center [BSRC] Nehru Nagar, Belagavi.||IPR-With special reference to Indian patent law||14-02-2019|
|12||Shri Y. B. Dalwi Asst. Prof. Department of Botany S.K.E. Society’s G.S.S College, Belagavi.||Skills to face Interview||30-01-2020|
|13||Smt. Ashwini Parab Asst. Prof. B. V. Bellad Law College, Belagavi||Intellectual Property Rights in the Era of Globalization||31-01-2020|
|14||Dr. Satish S. Kulkarni, Rtd. Vice Principal, B. N. Degree College, Dandeli||Bark Taxonomy||06-03-2020|
|15||Smt Laxmi Angadi, Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, KLS Vasantroa Potdar Polytechnic College, Belagavi||Solid Waste Management||05-11-2020|
|16||Dr. C. P. Mallapur Department of Entomology University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad||Pest on Horticultural crops||29-12-2020|
|17||Miss Pratibha Kumari Research Scholar in CSIR CFTRI, Mysuru||Important tools used in Genetic Engineering||21-06-2021|
STUDY TOOR / FIELD VISIT / INDUSTRY VISIT
|SOL N||PLACE OF VISIT||PURPOSE||DATE|
|1||Shri Malaprabha Sahakari Sakkare Karkhane Niyamit, M. K. Hubli||Industrial Effluent treatment during processing of sugars||08-07- 2015|
|2||Nandini Milk Dairy, Belagavi||Effluent treatment during Purification of Milk Analysis||14-09-2015|
|3||S. K. Zinc Industry Udyambagh, Belagavi||Purification of Effluent during the Process of Zinc Plating||15-09-2015|
|4||S. K. Zinc Industry Udyambagh, Belagavi||Purification of Effluent during the Process of Zinc Coating||15-09-2015|
|5||Basic Science Research Center, K L E University, Belagavi||Study of Instrumentation||25-02-2016|
|6||RLSI Campus, Belagavi||Taxonomical Study||23-03-2016|
|7||Castle Rock||Study of Vegetation||19-09-2016|
|8||Nandini Milk Dairy (KMF), Belagavi||Industrial Effluent treatment during Pasteurization of Milk||12-10-2016|
|9||Optimus Herbal Extract Industry, Belagavi||Industrial Effluent treatment||20-10-2016|
|10||Super Metal industry Belagavi||Industrial Effluent treatment||24-10-2016|
|11||Shri Malaprabha Sahakari Sakkare Karkhane Niyamit M. K. Hubballi||Industrial Effluent treatment during processing of sugars||03-10-2016|
|12||Sai Food Industry, Belagavi||Effluent treatment during Food Processing||03-10-2016|
|13||K. L. E. Hospital, Belagavi||Effluent treatment||04-10-2016|
|14||Hyloc Hydrotechnique Pvt. Ltd. Belagavi||Effluent treatment||04-10-2016|
|15||Amrut Pharmaceuticals, Belagavi||Effluent treatment||05-10-2016|
|16||Dr Prabhakar Kore Basic Science Research Center, K L E University, Belagavi||Study of Instruments||03-03-2017|
|17||Shiroda and Vengurla||Ecology and Study of Preservation of fruits and fruit juices||02-10-2017|
|18||Fruit Research Center, Vengurla Parabwada, Maharashtra||Study of Extraction of Fruit Juices and pulp||02-10-2017|
|19||RLSI Campus, Belagavi||Study of Lower forms||04-10-2017|
|20||Biomedical Unit Civil Hospital, Belagavi||Biomedical Waste Management||04-10-2017|
|21||Hiranyakeshi Sugar Industry, Sankeshwar||Effluent Treatment||05-10-2017|
|22||Laxmitek Water filtration plant, Belagavi||Water filtration and Purification||05-10-2017|
|23||K. L. E. Dr Prabhakar Kore Hospital, Belagavi||Biomedical Waste Management||06-10-2017|
|24||K. L .E. Dr Prabhakar Kore Hospital, Belagavi||Solid Waste Management||06-10-2017|
|25||S. Nijalingappa Institute of Sugar Technology, Belagavi||Tissue culture techniques and soil testing||05-02-2018 & 07-02-2018|
|26||Bhimgad Reserve Forest and Castle rock||Forest types and vegetation||18-09-2018|
|27||Hulme’s park, Belagavi||Exhibition on Flowers, fruits vegetables and Mushrooms||02-11-2018|
|28||KAHER Dr Prabhakar Kore Science Research Centre, Belagavi||Study of Advanced research equipments and their working||24-01-2019 & 29-01-2019|
|29||Kankumbi and Jamboti||Taxonomic study||09-03-2019|
|30||Shiroda and Vengurla||Ecology and Study of Preservation of fruits and fruit juices||07-03-2019|
STUDENT PROJECTS & REVIEW ARTICLES
Click here to view
LIST OF IN-HOUSE SEMINARS CONDUCTED
|SL NO||YEAR||TOTAL NUMBER OF IN-HOUSE SEMINAR|
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) is between K.L.E’s Society’s R. L. Science Institute (Autonomous) Belagavi, Department of Botany and the Kulkarni Farm Fresh Pvt. Ltd. Post Tigadi, Belagavi
The Memorandum of Understanding establishes the following
- To organize workshop on Mushroom Cultivation to the stakeholders
- Participation of Staff as resource person for the certificate course
- Support extension activities for common interest
- Exchange of any other data and information of common interest
- Promote research and realize cooperative projects, giving priority in interdisciplinary works
- Collaboration is active from the Academic year 2015-2016 (02-02-2016) till date.