K.L.E. Society’s Raja Lakhamagouda Science Institute was established in 1935 that signified the renaissance of the mind to the seekers of knowledge, in the pre-independent North Karnataka. Initially, the Science course was introduced in Lingraj Arts College. It was progressing by leaps and bounds; and subsequently in 1941, it was named as Raja Lakhamagouda Science Institute after the name of the munificent Sardar Raja Lakhamagouda Basavaprabhu Sardesai of Wantmuri, who had generously helped the institute. Sir C. V. Raman, the Nobel Laureate inaugurated the degree course in science in 1944. Further, in 1958 the science wing was bifurcated from Lingraj College as a full-fledged science institute.
R.L.S. Institute is a premier science college in a perfect ambience and with sufficient infrastructure for imparting science education. It had the honour of imparting instructions at Post-Graduate level in Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics from 1948 to 1957.
The institute had the privilege of receiving a number of distinguished personalities including Jnanapeetha award-winners, scientists, educationists, vice-chancellors etc..
Our college has been given the status of ‘Lead College’ by the Commisionerate, Collegiate Education, Bangalore, in the total Quality Management and Human Resource Development Programmes for improving the quality of education in the colleges coming under Belgaum District. To carry out our activities in these transformative and competitive days, we have adopted a slogan, “Adapt and Excel”. True to our slogan, we have been adjusting our activities with the changing situation and trying to excel in curricular and extra curricular activities.
To cope up with the modern trend M.Sc. Physics and Mathematics was reintroduction in 2010-11 and MCA was also introduced from 2012-13.A new combination Mathematics , Computer science and Electronics for UG course introduced in the year 2013-14.
To supplement the knowledge of students and to bring them with the main channel Autonomous status was given to our college by NAAC and has started functioning from the academic year 2012-13.